Tuesday, March 27, 2007

NIMES (Not In MY Eternal State)


Here's a little more on Hell from a decidedly more conservative point of view. I know that I will take some "you-know-what" from some people for even daring to publish the link. I am not sure I agree with all the sentiments expressed by the author, but I am in tune with at least one facet of the discussion.

As with so many things, modern Christians, and Catholics especially, tend to display a lot of cognitive dissonance in their faith life. For example,

1. Hell is real (but no one, least of all me, will go there).

2. I go to Church every Sunday. (If the poll numbers on this one were true, all our pews and chairs would be packed)

3. I believe in social justice for all (As long as they don't live in my neighborhood, or demand any of my tax money)

The miracle in all this is that in spite of the wretched state of our souls and our Churches, God still manages to save us, bless us and provide for our well being. That's good news.

Oh, yeah, here's the link:

Americans Think Hell Exists,But No One Goes There by Marian T. Horvat, Ph.D.


Be aware, though, that it's not for the theologically faint-hearted.

No comments: