Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Gandhi on Christians


I get tired, I get cynical. Someone does something which upsets me. People act stupid, sometimes even Christians. :-) On those days I feel very "in tune" with Gandhi's sentiments about Christianity.

I read this on an Evangelical website, John Mark Ministries (http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/552.htm):

"A Hindu, Ghandi nevertheless admired Jesus and often quoted from the Sermon on the Mount. Once when the missionary E. Stanley Jones met with Ghandi he asked him, "Mr. Ghandi, though you quote the words of Christ often, why is that you appear to so adamantly reject becoming his follower?"

Ghandi replied, "Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Apparently Ghandi's rejection of Christianity grew out of an incident that happened when he was a young man practising law in South Africa. He had become attracted to the Christian faith, had studied the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, and was seriously exploring becoming a Christian. And so he decided to attend a church service. As he came up the steps of the large church where he intended to go, a white South African elder of the church barred his way at the door. "Where do you think you're going, kaffir?" the man asked Ghandi in a belligerent tone of voice.

Ghandi replied, "I'd like to attend worship here."

The church elder snarled at him, "There's no room for kaffirs in this church. Get out of here or I'll have my assistants throw you down the steps."

From that moment, Ghandi said, he decided to adopt what good he found in Christianity, but would never again consider becoming a Christian if it meant being part of the church.

How we treat those others tells people MORE about what we believe, and what following Jesus means to us than all tracts we pass out, or all the fine semons we deliver."


So true.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was powerful. And it made me ashamed.

But thank you.

Phil B. said...

What gives me hope in the face of all this is Balthasar's comment... mentioned in quote-able quote in the sidebar.