Saturday, March 31, 2007

Thoughts from the Cabin Door


Well, after I arrived here at the Cistercian Abbey I realized I was assigned to Room 1- a very un-monastic suite with Internet access. So, here I am, blogging during my retreat. As Oscar Wilde said, I can resist anything but temptation.

It's OK to feel sad sometimes.

Yesterday was a grey day, both outside and within.
A few things at work,
and then driving through the grey rainy country side toward the Abbey,
and then discovering that my older son probably didn't make it into All State Choir,
all these things conspired together to make me feel a little blue.

Then, listening to MPR, I heard an old familiar song, sung anew by James Taylor (what a way to make me nostalgic for the 1970's- Sweet Baby James!) .

I used to quote these lyrics in the depth of depression. Now they just seem like real life. It's not that I am so very depressed. It's that life has a way of catching up with you when you get older.

Hard Times Come Again No More
by Stephen Foster

While we seek mirth and beauty and music light and gay,
There are frail forms fainting at the door.
Though their voices are silent, their pleading looks will say
Oh! hard times, come again no more.

Let us pause in life's pleasures and count its many tears,
While we all sup sorrow with the poor.
There's a song that will linger forever in our ears,
Oh! Hard times, come again no more.

Chorus:

Hard times, come again no more.
'Tis the song, the sigh of the weary,
Hard times, hard times, come again no more.
Many days you have lingered around my cabin door.
Oh Hard times, come again no more.

There's a pale drooping maiden who toils her life away
With a worn heart whose better days are o'er.
Though her voice would be merry, 'tis sighing all the day
- Oh! Hard times, come again no more.

'Tis a sigh that is wafted across the troubled wave,
'Tis a wail that is heard upon the shore,
'Tis a dirge that is murmured around the lowly grave
-Oh! Hard times, come again no more.

No comments: