Thursday, July 05, 2007

Returning his visits

Here's a look at how Eucharistic Adoration and Social Justice intertwine:

Bl. Pier-Giorgio Frassati (Italy, 1901-1925)
Feast Day - July 4th

From the moment in 1919 when Fr. Cesarini [at the Royal Polytechnic of Turin] founded a university group for nocturnal adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, Pier-Giorgio put his name down and became one of the most fervent and assiduous members of the group...

In the course of the nights of adoration he was noted, not so much for his alertness, as for his faith and devotion.
Full of life as he was, he would remain motionless upon his knees on the flagstones all during the long hours of the night. When the adoration was at an end
he would tell whoever was going back with him of the deep mystical joy which he felt at the thought of the community of students who were thus rendering homage to Christ in the Eucharist...

It was almost midnight one night when Pier-Giorgio rang the bell at the house
of the Fathers of the Blessed Sacrament.
"Brother, I have come to make the students' night's adoration."

"You have made a mistake. Tonight the adoration is reserved for the Fathers."

"Well, then, Brother, let me make it on my own account."

"Go home and sleep, my friend! Do you think it is so easy to watch for a whole night in prayer?"

"Maybe you think I'm not trained for such an exercise? Ah, go on, Brother. Let me in. I won't disturb the Fathers. I'm pretty quiet!"

How could the good Brother resist him? Delighted with succeeding in his request, Frassati entered the Church and went into the choir. "After a deep genuflection towards the tabernacle," relates the Brother, "he knelt down in one of the stalls and commenced to pray with wonderful devotion.
All the time that I was making my own adoration and he was in the choir, I was stuck by his extraordinary deportment and I noticed the many little stratagems he employed to keep awake despite the attacks of fatigue. Standing or kneeling, reading his prayer-book, saying the Rosary or looking at the Host, he remained in prayer until 4 o'clock in the morning.

He received Holy Communion then and gave an hour to his thanksgiving. At 5 o'clock,
the hour when we open the church, he left, his face radiant."

From Praying in the Presence of OUR LORD with the SAINTS
by Fr Benedict Groeschel and James Monti
"Jesus comes to visit me each morning in Holy Communion.
I return His visits to Him in the poor."
Bl Pier Giorgio Frassati

Blessed Pier-Giorgio Frassati, Pray for Us!

I got this from JOY2DAY2U@aol.com. Thank you, Spence's mom.

No comments: