Thursday, May 03, 2007

"Show Us the Father!" said Phillip the Lesser

Thank you to those who have e mailed me on my Feast Day today, which I share with St James. I am just getting through this afternoon with my retreat at the Cistercian Abbey near Sparta, WI. I need a day or so to process some of the very complex facets of our retreat with Sister Meg Funk. Then I will share some of the insights which came from our time with this beautiful woman of God. However, I WILL say, though, that my own meditations have centered around continued search for the Father, expressed so well in that plantive cry of the apostle Philip in John Chapter 14: Show us the Father!

Of course, Jesus responds lovingly that the Father is already present to the Apostles in Christ himself. Philip's eyes only need to be opened to that Light and Presence. So do mine.

One bit of news I will share, however, is my plan to be received as an Oblate of the Cistercian Abbey at First Vespers of the Feast of St Benedict in July. I have been an oblate of St John's Abbey in Collegeville, MN for the past eight years. So, this is really more of a transfer than a true first time oblation. However, I feel very peaceful about the move and will blog more about the details between now and July. Suffice it to say for now that the focussed Cistercian atmosphere at Sparta and the smaller community are what I need at this point in my life.

No comments: